Sunday, 20 March 2011

With love from my cupboard

I am sure you are wondering if love from my cupboard comes in the form of baked goods, or some delicious food. Well at the risk of disappointing you, I have to be honest and tell you that I don't really like to cook, so love from my cupboard has nothing to do with such things. I know that all the people I work with will understand why I chose the name, but seeing as they will be unlikely to follow me on here I will explain :)
I live in a small basement suite, in a house that I co-own. It is a long tedious story, so I will spare you the details. I like to refer to my small abode as my cupboard, and have been know to throw about phrases such as "my cupboard is so small that if I swung a cat by it's tail it would hit all four walls"... of course I would never do such a thing but it does give quite an interesting mental image of my cupboard lol. Another reason I chose this name is because it is something I would hear my mother say as I grew up. I, and my family, came to Canada from England and that is a country that has a lot of interesting and strange sayings, such as cupboard love. My mother would always refer to the love our many pets showed us as "nothing but cupboard love". I myself use this saying often when the dogs or cat show me affection. It of course it really means showing love or attention for the purpose of some kind of personal gain. My dog Milo is a classic cupboard love creature. He thinks with his stomach! He will only listen if he thinks I have a treat for him... typical male! His brother, Rocky, is less of a stomach thinker and more inclined to do as asked for the reward of a scratch behind the ear. Pal, my little ankle nipper, will do anything for a piece of toast, I think. Hmm, come to think of it ,I just offer him the toast and expect nothing in return. It seems Pal is the smartest of all the creatures. He has me trained! Our little kitten just takes what she wants and gives me that look that makes me understand that this is really her cupboard! So now you can see that my cupboard is not only small but also crammed full of creatures, both four and two legged. That is why it is full of love. I can't say that I love living in  a cupboard, but I do like that my cupboard is full of love :)

With love from my cupboard,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment